Monday, May 21, 2012

Engraved

Isaiah 49:13-16

13 Shout for joy, you heavens;
rejoice, you earth;
    burst into song, you mountains!
For the Lord comforts his people
and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.
14 But Zion said, “The Lord has forsaken me,
the Lord has forgotten me.”
15 “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget,
I will not forget you!
16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
your walls are ever before me."


    The human mind is fascinating. Specific faces and scenes are permanently engraved in one's memory and come to mind daily. For example, there is hardly a day I don't think of a child I met in Guatemala last summer or the view from my host family's house. Other important details slip the mind, so we use other means to remind us of them. Many apps and programs help us organize notes electronically. Calendars, planners, Post-It's are commons sights in dorm rooms like mine. I often write notes on my hand to remind me of upcoming events or things to bring with me. Scripture is a wonderful reminder of what God has done. Even with reminders, we can forget. A note may fall off the desk; the ink will wash off of your hand, and the Truth is often replaced by lies such as "The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.”

    God, however, does not forget or need reminder notes. Even so He "engraves you on the palms of His hands." This isn't ink which washes off with a little soap, but a permanent tattoo. God doesn't forget us or change His mind about who will receive His love and attention. I dearly love and miss the children I spent two months with...how much more does the Creator cherish these children? I can only offer so many hugs or words of encouragement before I am gone, but God will always be with them. While I will learn and do a lot, the main purpose of my service is connecting those I meet with God and the church that will further develop that relationship.

    Knowing I am loved and that God loves those around me just as much is both a comfort and a challenge. The security of resting in God's love has given me much more confidence to follow where he leads and step out of my comfort zone. God has given me talents that I have the tendency to hide; I have a lot more to learn about stewarding them well and not succumbing to the fear of man. God gives these talents and lavishes us with love in order to draw others to Him. I definitely don't reflect that love perfectly, but trying to do so brings much more joy and fulfillment than seeking to earn love. 

    This summer is going to be quite the experience. I am comfortable spending two months in a foreign place because I know nothing happens outside of the control of my beloved Father. More names, faces, lessons, places and events will be engraved in my memory. I have the opportunity to share the joy I have experienced with those who are unaware of the Gospel. Reminders come in all shapes and sizes, and I hope that I might serve as a reminder of God's love to those who know it but may be distracted in some way or another. Similarly, others will challenge and teach me. If you have any reminders for me, I would love to hear those as well!


I would deeply appreciate prayer for these upcoming months, so keep checking back to this blog for updates. For now here are some things you could pray for...
  • Travelling mercies: May 28-29 I'll be traveling to North Carolina for pre-field training and then June 1st we'll fly to Honduras
  • Pre-field training: May 29-May 31 please pray for Jeffry, Keilah, Allen and me as we get to know each other and that we would take the lessons we learn to heart
  • Culture shock will undoubtedly occur, but pray that it would be minimal and not be a continued hindrance to our witness
  • I'll be translating a lot--I'm well-prepared but nervous, so please pray that God would give me the right words
  • Please pray that my summer will reflect Matthew 5:14-16
    • 14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment