Saturday, July 21, 2012

Manos Suaves

There are times when you need to be tough and mean in order to get the point across. For instance, “You will die if you don’t change your lifestyle” needs to be taken seriously. But a huge part of offering medical care is being a comfort and giving of time and attention. Here are a few stories from the past weeks.

One young man came to our clinic with leg wounds that had become infected. The local hospitals are on strike again, so this was the only help he would be receiving. After receiving a very painful shot and some oral antibiotics, he expressed his great gratitude for the “manos suaves” (smooth hands) that treated him gently so that he did not feel anything but the sting of the medicine.

A few children here have needed nebulizer treatments, and often they are too young to understand why this loud machine is blowing vapor into their face. Last week, one three-year old would not have any of it. His sister tried holding the mask on, and he screamed the entire time. The next round, his grandma bounced him, and I held his hand. The kind woman kept asking him where his girlfriend was, and he’d look at me with his big brown eyes and break out into a big smile—no screaming. With the little extra attention, he got the treatment he needed plus love he was craving.

This week’s clinics involved lots of patients with long lists of lab tests to be done and prescriptions to be handed out. At one point, we had several urine samples lined up and a longer line of people waiting for meds. I took care of the analysis for one kind old woman, explained where she had to go for an additional test and that she’d have to go back to the doctor with the results. A good while later, she came to my window with her prescription, so I gathered the baggies, wrote out instructions and went outside to explain everything to her. After our a few questions, I prayed for God’s blessing. She grasped my arm and sincerely thanked me not only for the medicine but for the careful attention I had shown to her. It can be easy to get focused on the lists of medicines needed or the tests that need to be run, forgetting about the people who are behind those papers and cups. That was a good reminder that a smile and a personalized question make a big difference between completing a job and serving someone.

Seeing (via ultrasound) an unborn baby is quite the experience. This is God’s creation, one of his beloved. The children I saw were not mine, but I still felt an overwhelming love for them. It’s so exciting, knowing that God has their lives planned out and is direction their formation at this moment. He is working in the hearts and lives of their parents and siblings as well, shaping the environment into which they’ll be born.

Working Pharmacy

Inserting an IV

Helping Extract Teeth

 These are just a few of the memories I have to share that have even further motivated me to whole-heartedly pursue God and lovingly serve others. This week, I'll be doing that in La Ceiba. In a few weeks, I'll be doing that on Harambe! (my hall at Covenant). God is bringing together a great group of girls for a year of loving, learning and growing. I cannot wait to get to better know and serve these girls! It'll be hard transitioning from learning on the field to learning in the classroom again (I won't be doing more NG tube or IV insertions any time soon), but I'm very excited about it and the hard work/determination it'll require. This summer has been the experience of a lifetime, and I can't wait to see what else God has in store for this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment